Saturday, September 6, 2008

Starting Solids



I'm so excited because this week I had the pleasure of trying Corbin on some rice cereal. I bought the box a few weeks ago, but I haven't had the time to sit down and get to doing it, because I just KNEW it was going to be a huge ordeal! Baby chair, bib, tiny bowls and spoons, mixing the cereal...you know! I was excited!

I know that most books said to make it pretty soupy, but I made it kind of clumpy and thick, the way that I thought made it look the most appealing. I just mixed up some of her soy formula in with the cereal in a tiny bowl. I accidentally poured in too much cereal (it comes out of the box WAY faster than I anticipated!), but she actually ended up eating almost all of it! I was so proud.

So here is the picture of her facial expression upon the first bite:


She seemed a little shocked! The funny thing was, she opened her mouth when I brought the spoon near, like she was completely anticipating eating! I think she's been long overdue for solids, but I guess it's better late than never! :P

She was really liking it, though, and was strangely UN-messy. I was expecting there to be food everywhere and all over her and all over her bib, but it totally wasn't the case at all! Look at how neat of an eater she is!



After she ate about half of the bowl (I was surprised she even at that much!), we went to the bottle so that she could go ahead and get that formula in her. :) But I think she really likes her chair.



And here's the after-cereal picture!



Very little cereal to be seen, except for a bit around the mouth. So ladylike...

...except not! The next day when we had our dinner of rice cereal, she was in the mood to put her hands in her mouth after every bite and then grab her feet, so it was going from spoon, to mouth, to hands, to feet and everywhere in between! It was all over her nose! It was adorable, though, and she ate the entire bowl and then took her entire bottle. She is a little eater!

I'm going to go and buy her some veggies to start this week. I did cereal first because that's usually a good place to start, and then I'm going to do veggies and then fruits. Fruits last because we don't want her to not eat the vegetables! I think I'm going to start with carrots, what do you think? :)

[Oh, and PS. I totally tasted the rice cereal, and it actually didn't taste bad. It's very bland, but has a very subtle sweetness to it. Made me feel better to feed my baby something that looked so gross when it actually tasted okay. :)]

1 comment:

Dommi said...

Oh yay! She's so cute!! I started Max alot earlier then most people do, but he hasn't had many solids lately. I started with Rice cereal, but it seemed way to plain. So, he had some canned baby food and he liked it, but I still felt like it wasn't the real deal. So, I made some homemade baby food and he took it well. I still have a bunch frozen but I haven't had the time to feed him any lately with all of the working I'm doing. However I think he is getting even more ready for solids and I'm going to have to feed him some everyday.

Anyways, I will cut this short so that you aren't tortured by my constant babbling. lol

I've heard that it shouldn't matter if you start with fruit or veggies, but then there are some that say start with veggies and if that's what your going for I would start with the less sweet (peas, green beans, then move on to sweet potatoes and carrots since they are pretty sweet veggies) And do the same when you start the fruits. But, remember that it can take 10-15 times feeding her something before she will accept it sometimes. (That's what I've read at least) ;)

I feed Max the rice stick things called Mum Mum's (you can buy them at Walmart) and he loves them!! they dissolve so that the babies can't really choke that easy. But he is started to try to bite off pieces and sometimes they are pretty big, so I think I'm going to get those little puffs and wagon wheel things for him. (One of my co-workers were telling me that they would be perfect for him). Okay well now I'm babbling agin...lol